Next week I’m headed to PAX Prime for the first time and I’m already contemplating what video game inspired outfits I should wear.
This week’s outfit is heavily inspired by the character Chell from the game Portal. Featuring both licensed and handmade items, it’s the perfect outfit for a convention or a warm summer day!
Get This Look:
- The Aperture Science tank is the same tank Chell wears in the game. I love the fact that I can use it in a costume, or just wear it as an everyday clothing item. I picked up the tank from Thinkgeek. The Valve store also carries it as well as other Portal related clothing.
- I layered the tank over a light blue tank to mimic what Chell wears in game. I already had the tank on hand, but you can pick up great solid color layering tanks at Old Navy.
- One of the things that really defines Chell’s look is the bright orange suit she wears, so of course I needed to include that signature orange in the outfit. Luckily, bright color clothes are in currently, so I had no trouble finding some great orange shorts. I actually bought these from Old Navy, but they don’t carry them anymore. However, here are some alternative options: Kohl’s, Forever21
- For an alternate look, you could rock this outfit in a pair of orange skinny jeans.
- I wanted to wear something that kind of felt futuristic and reminiscent of the Long Fall Boots Chell wears. Luckily, Scruffy had a great pair that I felt fit the bill for this photo shoot. These wedge heels would be even more perfect given how closely they resemble the boot.
- Although you don’t always have to consider shoes as your only option. These Portal 2 socks would make a great addition to the outfit.
- These earrings were actually the first thing that inspired me to create this outfit. I love how understated they are while still being very geeky. If you want something a bit more straight forward, these earrings from J!nx are perfect.
- One accessory that I would love to add to this outfit is a Companion Cube necklace. I’m currently liking either this one or this one.
I’m hoping I get to sport this at PAX next week, although I may need to swap out the shorts for something warmer depending on Seattle’s weather. Are any of you planning on going to PAX Prime? I hope I can catch some geek chic attire while I’m there and hopefully meet some great geeky gals!
(Photos by Greg De Stefano)